Thursday, July 22, 2010

big wheels keep on toynin'

This is what I look like when I'm buying a car. I know... too eager.


And this is what I look like standing (ever so casually) next to a car that I just bought.


I knew nothing about buying cars prior to this. I probably still don't know much. Still, these two or three pointers should be helpful.
- CarFax. Make sure you get one. Owner history, repair history, etc. The dealer often has it on file, but if they don't you can get one here for about $40.
- On your test drive, take the car to another mechanic nearby that you trust. Have him check it out. And ask if he knows anything about the dealership you're buying from. If he's local and been around long enough, he should have some sense. In my case, he had nothing but good things to say.
- Don't forget to test it on the highway.
- Check Autotrader in addition to Craigslist and Ebay for comparable deals in your area.

If you ever happen to be in Ludlow, MA and in need of a used car (weirder things have happened) the guys at Ludlow Auto Sales are terrific. They've sold my family a few cars in the past. Really nice guys, really nice cars on the lot, and a pleasure to deal with. This was my first car purchase and it couldn't have been better or easier. This is of course assuming the product is good and that I don't end up stalling out and uncontrollably barreling down a mountain and off a cliff. Buckle up.

No comments:

Post a Comment