Tuesday, August 3, 2010

it's the final countdown

Only a few weeks ago, everything was status quo. It was another Tuesday night which meant nothing out of the ordinary. Come home from work, unwind, and prepare to get up tomorrow and do it all over again.

But tonight is different. Tonight is different because work is no longer a constant. Tonight is different because tomorrow doesn't meant getting up, showering, putting on a tie, and heading into the office.

Tomorrow I will get up and begin on a trek that will last the next eight weeks or so. Tomorrow I will get up and start driving west and that idea exhausts, excites, and invigorates me. It is a step in the direction of "I wish I could" or "I wish I did". It's a step in the direction of "Are you out of your mind." It's a step in direction of "WHY?!".

It has been a very effortless and relaxing two weeks. It has reminded me of my summers as a kid away from school; drinking iced tea, laying by the pool, not doing much and being okay with that. Helping Mom with dinner (marginally), watching a movie with Dad, and going to sleep whenever I felt tired, be it 9pm or 5am.

But tonight is different because tomorrow is different. Tomorrow is the first day of an adventure that will ideally be with me for the rest of my life. Tomorrow, this moment of writing will be a moment of envy. While I'm curled up in my car, sweating, wondering if I'll ever fall asleep, I'll be thinking, "Wow. I had it good last night." And that's the reality. Luxury is merely having a nice place to go to the bathroom and take a shower. So tomorrow holds no luxury. Tomorrow is the first step. Cheers to tomorrow!

1 comment:

  1. Good luck Billy. I recently stayed at an Embassy Suites hotel that offers made to order breakfasts to their guest. They didn't check any tickets upon entering so that may be an option. I would be most worried about showering. I can sleep probably anywhere and cant find food, but a shower is probably a little more difficult to come by.
    Tony

    ReplyDelete